Monday, January 19, 2009

Disco Balls on Hold


Once upon a time marijuana was more popular at dance clubs than cocaine, the term British Invasion didn't reference The Bay City Rollers, and Australia's Bee Gees had yet to release the most popular movie soundtrack of all time.

It will always remain near impossible for people to not instantly think of a young sexy pre-Scientology John Travolta striking an exaggerated dance pose on a glittering floor when someone mentions the name Bee Gees. I was in the same boat until I came across a free copy - through one of my dad's retired teacher friends - of the early hits compilation Best of Bee Gees.

With a plethora of sophisticated pop songs, this collection shows that more than anything, the Bee Gees were a group prepared to swing with the times. Lord knows they would've been a musical afterthought if they hadn't gone on to reinvent themselves in the mid-'70s as chest hair pimping disco kings.

Far and away the most bizarre track on the album, "Every Christian Lion Hearted Man Will Show You" is a hard psychedelic pop nugget that sounds more Beatlesy and less Boney M.-ish. It opens with what I figure is some sort of Latin chant ("Oh solo Dominique") before moving into a lilting verse with lush harmonies backed by a booming psychedelic rhythm. The chorus, which simply repeats the title over and over, is jubilant and joyful. A great song from an unexpected place.

"Bee Gees - Every Christian Lion Heart Man Will Show You"

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my parents were dating, "their" album was The Bee Gees' "Odessa." There were two copies of the double-album in my basement when I was growing up, and I remember listening to it a lot when I was 12 or 13. It certainly didn't sound anything like the disco music that no one in my household could really get their heads around, but I worry that the album might strike me as kinda flaky, these days. It's probably been at least 15 years since I've listened, thanks for the reminder!

    I look forward to more blog entries! (I'm a poster on halifaxlocals - that's how I discovered this).

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice. very pleasant and inspiring review. i will check it out and think of a simpler time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog after you posted it on Halifaxlocals. Then in a Coles blow-out sale, I found "Bee Gees 1963-1966" brand new for $2. They're chameleons. I picked it up on your recommendation. They don't sound anything like the disco kings they would become. They owed more to the Beatles, Byrds, and Yarbirds in the earlier days, and this track you posted is a weird foray into psych pop. Thanks for the tip. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete